Friday, October 13, 2006

 

The Other End Of The Road

Looks like Cheesehead has some stories to tell about her recent trip to San Carlos, Sonora for Mulligan's IslandFest. You better check in the next couple of days over there if you aren't already a regular.

I've been down to San Carlos a couple of times, back before Cheesehead roped me in to this AZPHC thing. As soon as I got home that first time, I started telling all my friends. "I found Margaritaville!" I know, I know, Margaritaville is a state of mind. But San Carlos is as close as you can get to a physical Margaritaville. I've been to Key West. That ain't it. Great place, lots of fun, but Margaritaville cleared out of there many years ago. I'm pretty sure it's at the other end of the road in San Carlos.

A cosmic coincidence happened to me while in San Carlos on a dive trip several years ago. I was sipping a brew, looking out at the Sea of Cortez, trying to get out of the heat, when I heard a voice call out to me.......no, it didn't say "son, come have a seat." It was more like, "Hey, Crime Dog! What the fuck are you doing down here?" I looked around and saw a guy I knew from the salt mine back home. What were the odds that the two of us would end up in the same little bar in Mexico on the same day and time? He sat down with me and told me he was in town for a wedding. An old college buddy of his had moved down there and had gotten hitched that very weekend. We had a cold one, and he went on his way.

It wasn't until years later, after the AZPHC thing, that I was at the Waterfront Bar in Chandler to catch Mark Mulligan's show with a bunch of other Parrotheads. In walks the same guy. Now it's my turn: "What the fuck are you doing here?" He explained he came for the show, and in seconds we put together that Mark and Adela Mulligan were the friends getting married in San Carlos that weekend years before.

Small world, down there in Margaritaville. Man, I gotta get back......

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?