Tuesday, January 10, 2006

 

What The Hell Does "Stupid Is As Stupid Does" Mean, Anyway?

There I was. Watching a bit of local news on channel something-or-other a few nights ago, when it happened. I've watched a million of those outtake shows, where news pinheads or the weather channel girl, or someone they are interviewing says something really, really, really stupid. When I watch these shows, I always have to ask myself:

Why don't I ever get to see these incidents firsthand? They'd be a lot funnier if they were virgin outtakes, never before ridiculed by man, than rehashed idiocy somebody else had the pleasure to find first.

Well, it finally happened. It was a story about a bunch of folks who got together at the Arizona State Capitol to shout through bullhorns and do some of those annoying demonstration chants. The purpose was to chide the Governor for having the unmitigated gall to actually suggest that illegal immigration is a problem that needs some attention.

What is with these people, and why does the media go along with them? Most right-thinking people want something done about the ass-load of illegal immigrants who cross our borders every day, but as soon as someone tries, here come the accusations that he's anti-immigration. They somehow manage to leave out the word illegal from in between anti and immigration.

But I digress. Back to stupid people doing/saying stupid things. In this case, it was a squeaky-voiced lady with a very thick Latino accent, wearing a tee-shirt that probably said something asinine on it. In the first scene, she was front stage center with her bullhorn, squawking away. A moment later, they cut to an interview sound bite from her. She actually said the following:

It's not a crime to be in this country illegally.

Well, it actually came out more like Ees no a crime be in dees contry eelegally.

Huh? Did I hear that right? Thank goodness for Tivo. I rewound it and watched it about five times just to be sure I heard what I heard.

That one sound bite was all they showed on TV, as though she had nothing else intelligent to say. Personally, I'd love to have seen the whole interview. It was probably a riot.

Doesn't matter, I suppose. By this time next year, she will probably have been elected to something, and we'll get to see a lot of more of her saying stupid stuff.

Ees no a crime to geet money eelegally.

Ees no a crime to have drogs eelegally.


Somewhere, a village is missing its idiot.

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?