Tuesday, February 02, 2010

 

Great Parrotheads In History!


I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members
- Groucho Marx.


Like so many great historical Parrotheads, Groucho Marx never knew he was a Parrothead. According to the legend, Parrotheads weren't even invented until circa 1985, some eight years after Groucho sailed on into the mystic.

But he HAD to be a Parrothead in spirit, didn't he? After all, he invented the look that gave us those fake glasses with the nose and cheesy mustache attached, right? It's hard to do anything but smile wearing those stupid things. Did you know that it wasn't until he got into TV that he actually grew a mustache. Prior to that, he just globbed one on with greasepaint, then greased up his hair and eyebrows to match. Does that sound like a normal person?

And what other Parrothead-like mischief was Groucho famous for?

Once upon a time, while passing through customs, Groucho listed his real name on the customs form (Julius Henry Marx), and his occupation as "smuggler." Chaos ensued.

Groucho once ended a letter to Dick Cavett with "P.S. Did you ever notice that Peter O'Toole has a double-phallic name?"

When Groucho met Elton John in 1972, he mirthfully pointed "six-shooter" fingers at Elton, who threw up his hands and shouted.....wait for it..."Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano payer." And history was made.

And if that's not sufficient to convince you of Groucho's Parrotheadism, I give you the following quotations from the man himself:

Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough.

I have a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

I intend to live forever, or die trying.

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

I remember the first time I had sex - I kept the receipt.


And finally, and maybe the best:

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

So, add Groucho to the Parrothead Hall of Fame! Phins up, everyody!

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?