Tuesday, July 08, 2008

 

Greetings From Yellowstone, Parrotheads!



The Crime Dog Gang arrived safely Sunday evening here in West Yellowstone, Montana. It's a bit cooler here than back home in the desert. Actually, it's a lot cooler. Low 40's in the mornings, high 70's in the afternoon. Sort of like February at home.

Yellowstone is quite the feast for the eyes, I have to tell you. Waterfalls, geysers, snow capped mountains, geysers, breathtakingly deep and steep canyons, geysers, crystal clear lakes, and geysers. Did I mention there's a shitload of geyers in this place? A nondescript creek here would be a major landmark and waterway in Arizona, and I was told by a Ranger that this is the most water they've had here in decades.

I was looking at one geyser today when this guy comments to his wife that the water trickling out was about 120 degrees. I joked that my pool at home was hotter than that. The guy just looks at me and asks "Phoenix?" Turns out he was from Mesa. Small world.

Dad is pretty lively for a guy coming up on 86 in just a few weeks. He's gone on all but a few of the short hikes we've made up here, and has yet to run out of jokes and stories from his youth. Priceless.

So many geysers here, I feel like I got 'em coming out my ears.

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?