Thursday, July 31, 2008

 

Ohhhh LIVER!

I was too young to go to Woodstock at only 15, and I have wished my whole life that I could have been there, rain, mud and all. The event continues to fascinate and captivate me to this day. I was plenty old enough, however, to watch the film when it came out in theaters in 1970. I must have seen it fifty times by now, probably forty of those in the summer of 1970. My friends and I would go every weekend to the old Cinema I theater in Roswell and sit through it a couple of times. Then, when it went to the Starlight Drive-In, we'd score a bunch of beer and/or Boone's Farm Apple Wine, stuff two or three friends in the trunk, and go again.

It's hard to decide what my favorite act in the movie is. There's Crosby, Stills and Nash, The Who, Sly, Joplin, Santana, Canned Heat. And what 16 year old is not going to fall in love with and belt out "The Fish Cheer" at every opportunity?

But to this day, it remains Joe Cocker's visceral performance of With A Little Help From My Friends that enthralls and fascinates me the most. I can't take my eyes off it. I even watched every episode of the TV show The Wonder Years just to hear Joe sing the theme.

That said, I have to admit I've always been a wee bit unclear on all the lyrics Joe sang that day in upstate New York.

Unclear, that is, until today.

Submitted for your approval, the captioned version of the great Joe Cocker's Woodstock performance of With A Little Help From My Friends:


  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?