Tuesday, July 29, 2008

 

Aye Caramba!

Ever been to a "Ranch Market"? I had some work yesterday that necessitated my going in to one on the west side. I'd passed them by a few times, but like probably most old white guys just figured it wasn't really my territory.

I was wrong.

The place is alive, with a pulse and personality so unlike all the other ho-hum grocery stores. Admittedly, it would help if you spoke Spanish, but what the hell? You can find virtually anything in there. I was instantly reminded of when I was a kid, and my folks would take me with them when they went to Juarez, just over the Rio Grande from El Paso. We'd always visit the "City Market," a sort of bazaar filled with everything imaginable. When we were stationed in Italy in the late 70's, we went a few times into the city of Brescia to the "Citta Mercata" there. Same thing: A huge grocery store, with every sort of shop from shoes to jewelry to music around its perimeter.

Lady I was speaking to there said they have customers come all the way from the far east valley to visit Ranch Market. I can see why. All those goods, music, demos, colors....it's a playhouse.

Road trip, anyone?

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?