Monday, September 17, 2007

 

The Best Albums You Never Heard


I went to the mailbox today, and pulled out an envelope with something hard in it. The handwritten return address was "Evadale, TX." What could this be? Since Mom died, we spread her ashes off Rockport, and then sold the last little piece of property down there, I haven't had much dealings with that neck of the woods. So who is sending me what, and what problems is it going to cause me? Shit!

Turns out it wasn't a problem. It was Just South of Corpus, a personalized and autographed CD from somebody named Troy Allan. Never heard of him. Or have I? The picture looked familiar.....OK Troy, do I know you?

So I went home and started supper. I looked over a few minutes later, and there was Troy, staring at me from the CD cover. Then it hit me: Dude looked so much like an old partner and close friend of mine from my law enforcement days it was almost eerie. I figured I'd better give it a try.

So I popped it into the CD player and sat down to listen. And then listened again. It's good. Really good. From the title cut to Margarita M.A.F.I.A to Sharkstock, this is an album you're sure to enjoy. I actually played I'm Getting Lucky Tonight three times, because my dog really liked it. Now she's pissed because I'm not more like that guy in the song, so thanks a whole helluva lot, Troy. Women!

If you look up "Trop Rock" in the dictionary, they should put Troy's picture next to the definition:

TROP ROCK (trop-rok) -- a mixture of rock-n-roll and country music blended with an island style theme and lyrics. See also Buffettesque, and Caribilly.

But then, there's really two different kinds of Trop Rock. There are those artists who lean to the rock and roll side, and those who lean towards country. Troy leans pretty heavy to the country side, but if country ain't yore thang, don't let that scare you off. My lovely wife has one of the most sensitive twang-detectors in the nation, and no My Wife Done Run Off And I'm Crying In My Beer type country music passes muster with TFMCD. She's the only woman in musical history to walk out on a George Strait concert while saying "it's too hot to listen to some f___ing country singer." Thank God only friends and family heard her, because it was in Dallas, and I'm pretty sure that's a felony there.

But she likes Troy Allan. How 'bout them apples, George?

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?