Thursday, September 06, 2007

 

One Person's Art Is Another's Garbage

The boob tube was on this morning, tuned to TFMCD's favorite - the Channel 3 morning news program. One of their talking heads was doing a remote from the spanking new Tempe Arts Center, which I have seen a number of times as I zip past it on the 202. That is one weird looking building......Anyway, Channel 3 had this guy on who was involved somehow in designing it. He said it was inspired by Hayden Butte. OK, I guess I can see that. Sort of. Maybe. But only if you squint, tilt your head to the left, and visualize it with a gigantic gold "A" painted on the roof. Then, install a couple of big-ass antennas on top, and put somebody up there to shoot off fireworks every time the Devils score a touchdown. Ahhh, now I see it.

I wonder if Mildcat fans will show up before The Game and paint the imaginary "A" an imaginary blue?

But I digress. Channel 3 had a performing artiste out front of the Arts Center, and allowed us all to watch a few minutes of what must be representative of what we can expect to see at this lovely, butte-like facility. Dude had shocking white hair and looked a little like Steve Martin on meth. He had a galvanized steel garbage can hanging from a rope, and he was banging the shit out of it with a stick. I'm guessing that Channel 3's switchboard crashed immediately from all the agents, promoters, and record labels trying to get through at once in a frenzied effort to sign the guy. I fully expected him to stop and say

Thank you! What a great audience! I'd like to play something from my new album now, a duet with the lovely and talented Grinder Girl.....

I wonder if ever goes electric, and plays a trash compacter?

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?