Monday, August 07, 2006

 

Karaoke Hell Is Just A Song Away

I need a vacation to rest up from my weekend.

Friday night, a bunch of us hit a local watering hole in Gilbert, which we just happened to know had karaoke night with a generous offering of Buffett tunes. The booze flowed, and everybody got into the act at some point or another. I found out our good phriend known as .11 can actually sing pretty good. Unfortunately, you have to overlook his affinity for country music. In his defense, I admit he sings more of the fun kind of country music. Instead of the true hayseed shit some of the other bumpkins sang, he went with Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off and David Allen Coe's You Don't Even Call Me By My Name. Those are annoying, but not mind-numbing like I Got Tears In My Ears From Lyin' On My Back And Cryin' Over You, or Achey Breaky Heart, or Billy Broke My Heart At Walgreen's And I Cried All The Way To Sears.

Yeah, I know, I know....Hey, Crime Dog! What about My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don't Love Jesus, or If The Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me? The good thing about Bubba is that you know he's doing parodies - poking fun at country music - when some of these other C&W idiots actually take themselves seriously.

Oh well, even the worst, twangiest, most inane, insipid, nausea-inducing country music is still no worse than the likes of Duran Duran, Hall and Oates, The Osmonds, Asia, and Mr. Mister, not to mention the vapid works of folks like Celine Dion and John Mayer.

And, in a moment of clear honesty here, please allow me to admit that I would pay to watch this woman perform in a phone booth in Little Rock.

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?