Wednesday, September 28, 2005

 

Just Gimme Another Beer..........

The Crime Dog is a pretty laid back guy. OK, a real laid-back guy. OK, OK, a really, really, sometimes excessively laid back guy. But that's OK. I'll eat and drink whatever I want and still outlive all those perpetually pissed off upwardly mobile guys.

That said, I still find things that either annoy, aggravate, or sometimes outright piss me off on pretty much a daily basis. Take yesterday for instance:

Category: Annoyance

You all know I love Jimmy - the man and his music. There's no place better to hear him than Radio Margaritaville. That said, why oh why do they feel the need to play so many cuts from Don't Stop The Carnival? I'm sure that stuff played well enough on the stage, but for the most part, it sucks really bad on the radio.

Category: Aggravation

It aggravates me when our TV talking heads seem absolutely starved to make a local connection to some obscenely horrible event hundreds of miles away.

Tonight at Ten on 12 News, we talk to the next door neighbor of a Tempe man who once bought a car from a guy who accidentally dialed the home number of Natalee Holloway's third-grade teacher's dog groomer.

Last night, it was Channel 15's "The Investigators." Their teaser implored us to watch as they revealed the worst-case scenario that could put "all of Phoenix under water." I didn't watch. I'm guessing it would take something like eight meteorites breaking through the atmosphere and simultaneously destroying all eight Salt River Project and Pleasant Lake dams simultaneously, right after forty days and forty nights of constant rainfall, which followed massive water main ruptures, and the accidental spilling of 500,000 cubic yards of concrete into the storm drain system. Hey, it could happen.

Category: Outright Pissed Off

I spend a lot of time behind the wheel, and as a result, I've learned to ignore most of those asshole-ish behaviors so high on most everyone else's "things that piss me off" lists. But when those behaviors are foisted upon us by our civic leaders, it's just too much. Yesterday, I was headed back to my home office about 4:00, still with a couple of hours of desk work staring me in the face, when I hit a major suckfest of a traffic jam on Cooper Road. It seems some genius closed the right lane with orange cones. For two miles, and for no reason whatsoever. No engineers. No police officers. No flag guys. No one guy digging a hole while three other guys watch. Nobody at all. No vehicles. No street construction. No power lines. No wet tar or paint.

Nothing.

Nothing, that is, but two miles of bumper to bumper traffic in the left lane. Guess we just need to practice for future construction area traffic delays.

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?