Tuesday, April 26, 2005

 

The Best Albums You Never Heard



I first heard Coconut Bob Karwin at the inaugural Phins To The West phlocking in 2004, when I wandered out to the riverfront and watched him actually perform from atop a bail of hay. That was his stage, and Bob made the most of it. I've seen him a couple of times since then, and he never fails to please with his energetic covers of Buffett tunes. This last Phins, I watched him in the ArrowWeed Lounge as he captured his audience like never before. Those intimate venues are ideal for Bob's one-man shows, much like Mark Mulligan and Ray Cody, Arizona Parrothead favorites.

Liking what I saw at Phins, I picked up a copy of Karwin's CD, Proper Attire. Like his live performance, it does not disappoint. This is a very laid back collection of Karwin originals - no covers here, Parrotheads, this is all Bob. It includes what has become Bob's signature song, "Never Met The Man," which I pretty much already knew by heart before getting the album. I just loved some of these songs. I chatted with Bob around the pool at Phins, and learned that he has a straight job as a hard-working attorney. That knowledge made me enjoy songs like "Simple Island," "Back Off Friend," "40 Foot Yacht," and "Hero" all that much more, knowing Bob is one of us, regular pholks, escapists who spend a great deal of time mired in the routine of earning our daily bread - traffic jams, annoying co-workers, asshole bosses, crime in the streets, and the mind-numbing grind that encompasses it all.

Bob seems to like to sing about why we do what we do.

Among the best songs on the album is "Happy Unheard," a thoughtful number about that admiration from afar, that "look but don't touch," that everyone encounters at some point with members of the opposite sex. You'll also enjoy the imagery of "Heaven's Out On The Water," and the all-too familiar growing older but not up attitude of "Toll."

If I had a tree big enough, I'd take Bob Karwin's cue and build myself a "Treehouse," another fun song that will catch your imagination. In the meantime, I'll settle for that oasis that Thor and his boys are building out in my backyard. And once it's built, and I'm floating around with a boat drink in my hand, you can bet that Proper Attire will take its turn on the ol' CD player.

To snag a copy of "Proper Attire," or one of Bob's other albums, head on over here. There's a children's album over there I just gotta get from my Grand Parakeet.

Oh, and just tell Bob The Crime Dog sent ya. He won't have a clue what you're talking about, but it still sounds kinda cool.

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?