Wednesday, February 16, 2005

 

The Best Album You Never Heard - Volume I


Find yourself a hammock and a cold brew.

Now, I know what some of you are thinking out there" "What? A1A? Of course I've heard A1A!" Today's column ain't for you. But I've been surprised in recent weeks by my discovery that a lot of my Parrothead Phriends seem blissfully unaware of this amazing piece of music. These must be pholks who just started listening to Jimmy in the past decade or so, who were weaned on Fruitcakes, Barometer Soup, and Banana Wind. But if you've been listening to him for as many trips around the sun as I have, then you most certainly already own this album.

Named for the road to Key West, A1A was recorded before Buffett found steel drums and that calypso sound that has become so prevalent in his music, beginning with Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes. It was there that Jimmy really seems to have discovered the value of commercial production. But with A1A, you get the real deal. A country influenced, beach inspired collection that cries out to be played by the pool with an ice-cold beer. The Key West in this album is the one we all wish still existed.

I'm not going to break down the album song by song. That's too much work. I'd rather just put it on and pass out in my hammock listening to it. I'll just tell you that this album, along with A White Sport Coat and A Pink Crustacean, Living and Dying in 3/4 Time, and Havana Daydreaming, consitutes what The Church of Buffett, Orthodox considers the "spiritual core" of their holy canon.

If you do not own this album, you must go out immediately and get it. You've been warned. If you don't, I'll be forced to shoot this kitten:


Next Week: The End of the Beginning - Freebo

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?