Thursday, August 14, 2008

 

From Assholes to Heartwarmers

I have the TV on while I work. It provides a little sound so I know there are other humans out there. Somewhere....

Anyway, it's on the Olympics. I saw this morning that some Swedish rassler who thought he got jaked by a judge was so pissed he didn't get the gold that he threw his bronze medal on the floor and walked out. What an asshole. That Chinese gymnast who got robbed in the last Olympics at least took it like a man.

Contrast that with this 34-year-old swimmer from someplace called Equatorial Guinea. Dude has a name too long to reproduce here, and I know I can't find his country on a globe, even if you spot me the hemisphere. I'm guessing it's somewhere near the equator. Anyway, the guy goes out there to swim against the best swimmers in the world. He wasn't even sure how to take a stance on the starting platform, and just copied the guy next to him. You have to know that he had no illusion going in to the race that he was about to get anything beyond a significant ass whipping. He finished dead last, but actually wasn't too far behind. His Olympice were over in about 30 seconds, and all I could do was stand and applaud such a show of courage.

I'll buy that guy a beer anytime, anywhere.

But not that singlet wearing Swedish crybaby.

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?