Wednesday, July 05, 2006

 

Bubkes??

If I'd known all I had to do was whine a little bit to generate comments, I would have started long ago. And if Pab ever shows up at my door to collect her winnings, I won't have a beer koozie to my name. I would never have guessed the spelling as "bubkes," though it appears she has documentation, footnotes, ibids and op cits. I don't remember what those are, but I had to use them to get out of freshman English when I was at Princeton. That's the Llano Estacado branch in Portales, NM. We had something the main campus in New Jersey did not have: A rodeo team. Stick that in your meerschaum pipe and smoke it, elbow patches and all, you Ivy League slugs. The Mesquite League is tougher.

Today is a rare July moment, isn't it? The clouds and light rain allowed me to take my coffee and newspaper out on the patio for the first time in weeks. The thermometer read 78 degrees, quite the respite from the record-setting heat of June.

So I was reading along when I glanced over at Crime Dog's Margaritaville West Tiki Bar and Cement Pond. The shock! It looks like my neighbor to the west is not enamored of my catsclaw, which has begun to grow at a brisk pace along the top of the fence. Rather than just cut off whatever he doesn't want hanging on his side, it looks as though he shoved the whole thing off the top of the wall. Now I have about a collective mile of catsclaw laying in a big lump beside the cement pond. Guess it's payback for all the mesquite branches I've lobbed back over the fence into his yard after he has cut them and allowed them to fall into my cape honeysuckle. Fair's fair.

So it will be off to Lowe's this afternoon to get a trellis, I guess, and see if I can train the catsclaw to stay in its own yard. But then, I never could train a cat to do anything.

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?