Thursday, December 08, 2005

 

The Day The Music Died - December 8, 1980



I still miss this guy. Remember it like it was yesterday. I had just gotten off duty from my job of singlehandedly keeping the Soviet Red Army from pouring across the Hungarian border and seizing all of Italy. It was a tough job, but somebody had to do it. I stopped into the tiny PX that served our tiny contingent of GIs on a tiny air base, and the Italian who ran the PX asked me if I'd heard that John had been killed. All because some nutcase didn't like his politics.

Why couldn't Mark David Chapman find something better to do on this day, twenty-five years ago? Like get run over by a NYC taxi cab, or maybe shoot himself instead of John? It was only a few months later that another wack job tried to kill our President in an effort to impress Jodie Foster. I always thought it strange that an entertainer was shot because of politics, and a politician got shot because of an entertainer.

Stawberry Fields Forever!

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?