Monday, January 24, 2005

 

Another Legend Sails Into The Mystic

"The King of Late Night" is gone. As Van Morrison would say, he has let his soul and spirit fly into the mystic. Wow. I didn't see that one coming. I'm not one of those lifeless vultures who get their jollies chasing after the latest celebrity tidbits, like the "Brad and Jennifer" soap opera, and I don't give a flying cow-cookie about who's visiting Martha Stewart in the hole. And when someone is not well, like that anorexic little twin girl, whatsername who showed up on all the magazines, or Johnny Carson, I figure they would probably prefer to just be left alone with their friends and family. So, unlike those who read those heartless celebrity bird-cage liners, or can't miss an episode of Entertainment Tonight, I did not even know Johnny was ill. Such memories I have of that man. My oldest brother, Gene, and I used to sit up and watch The Tonight Show together often. Gene loved comedy, loved to laugh, and Johnny made him do just that, with his terrific monologues and endless barbs fired at Ed McMahon over his drinking or Doc Severinsen over his wardrobe selection. No one could ad lib and improvise like Johnny Carson. Gene flew into the mystic back in 1976, the victim of a senseless car accident, and I've never quite gotten over it. It's strange how things, like the passing of Johnny Carson, take me back to those old days with my big brother. Well, enough of the sad crap. Gene would'nt stand for it, and I doubt Johnny would, either. Some devout Parrotheads might actually recall that Jimmy was on The Tonight Show with Johnny no less than four times. TVTome lists his appearances as '87, '89, '90, and '92. So, don't be surprised if Bubba mentions Johnny during his upcoming tour, as he often does upon the passing of a legend. And now, as they say, "O-Bla-Di-O-Bla-Da, life goes on." It's 8:42AM MST. One hour, eighteen minutes till the flag goes up, and we have to beat the bastard scalpers at their own game. Time to set up my command post and get ready for battle.

Sail on, Johnny Carson.

  |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?